3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
o
overvest01 25.10.22 11:00 am

AVX2 requirement will be removed one of these days (Uncharted 4: A Thief's End)

Expect a patch in a couple of days.
201 Comments
Sort by:
a
alexmalutin86 29.10.22

vasek9997
If you don't know what AVX is and how these instructions are used, keep quiet! There was a smart guy who doesn't know, but starts to fart.

w
west01 29.10.22

vasek9997
I've seen a lot of people who don't really understand what AVX really is, how it's used or implemented. So, just to clarify, the decision to use AVX2 was completely arbitrary and the developer didn't work in some damp dark coding dungeon for years to write AVX2 optimized code. And no, it also wouldn't take months of work on a fix to "ensure support for older processors" as I've seen some speculation. Unless they were using a handwritten x86_64 build for the game, which is highly unlikely, then it would almost certainly just be a compiler flag, and could literally be removed by simply removing the flag for it. This is it.

As an example, to compile with AVX2 using gcc or clang, this is all it takes:
-mart=avx2-kernel

To remove AVX2 using the above example, you simply remove the flag, and SSE 4.2 is used by default instead. This is it. There is nothing else in this. It does not require 1,000 hours of development time to implement, remove, or patch.

I don't actually use the Microsoft compiler, but they do it in a similar way using a switch; /arch:AVX2. It can also be removed just as easily by simply removing the switch. Again, that's it. No magic required.

I think it's important for people to understand how easy it is to fix this problem, because it shouldn't have been a problem at all. There is no technical reason for a game to require AVX2, especially in a 6 year old game.

There would probably also be no noticeable difference in performance if the AVX2 requirement were removed, and if there was any measurable difference, it would be very small at best. There are only certain operations that can use AVX extensions at all, and there is no difference in the vast majority of other instructions that are executed. The kinds of operations that benefit the most from AVX/AVX2 are instead mostly done on the GPU in games. SSE 4.2 can be used in almost every remaining case that can use AVX, and is available on ALL 64-bit processors from both Intel and AMD, so SSE is the default option used in almost every other game except this one.

Even if they were to switch back from AVX2 to AVX, it would still greatly reduce the number of CPUs affected while still offering any minor benefit that might exist. However, in the first place, there is no particular reason to impose an AVX requirement at all. In the few games that did, it was a bug, a sloppy oversight by the developer, and it was quickly fixed. Although, this may well be the case here. This at least explains why AVX2 isn't mentioned at all on the Steam store page, in the additional system requirements notes section.

w
west01 29.10.22

About the patch. they only have 8:55. Wait for them to have an afternoon-evening. So that's the way things are. ;)

w
west01 29.10.22

vasek9997
questions, I think you have disappeared

z
zubastik64 29.10.22

Show me the publisher's official message that he is aware of the AVX2 problem and promises to fix it!

m
max5455 29.10.22

zubastik64 Pinned
picture above

m
mi1018 29.10.22

I can’t understand one thing, if my old 6-core i7-4930K paired with rtx3070 and 64GB of RAM running in 4-channel drags any games on ultras at 1440p, then why the hell should I change it ?! This requirement of avx 2 looks stupidly like bytes and marketing :(

P
Pirat13666 29.10.22

mi1018
This is marketing. You have a wonderful processor.

l
leonkiller777 29.10.22

Already patched

m
max5455 29.10.22

leonkiller777
Riley?

m
max5455 29.10.22

leonkiller777
No information anywhere

D
DitRixe 29.10.22

max5455
will you check?

m
max5455 29.10.22

DitRixe
It would be something to check, there is nothing

D
DitRixe 29.10.22

max5455
I meant you will download the game and check if the problem is solved or not

m
max5455 29.10.22

DitRixe
Of course, as soon as I see that avx 2 has been removed, I'll download it right away

P
PLAYGAG 29.10.22

max5455 don't know if avx 2 was removed

P
PLAYGAG 29.10.22

max5455
but the update came out. Even on steamdb it says that it came out an hour ago

D
DitRixe 29.10.22

I don't have JOJOGAG
in steam or any update please send a screenshot here

P