3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
G
Guzno752 20.01.23 03:43 pm

60 FPS picture is not smooth

Guys, such a problem
I have noticed for a long time that at 60 fps the game seems to be not going smoothly, but at the same time there are no friezes, there are no fps drops either. But at 75 fps and more, everything is fine and smooth.
It just feels like it’s not 60 frames, but where is 50 or something.
Maybe the fact that I have a 75 hertz monitor, because of this, can this be?
PC: processor ryzen 5 3500x
Video card RTX 2060 super
RAM 16 gigs
Games all on ssd
I play in 1920x1080 resolution in full screen mode
96 Comments
Sort by:
G
Guzno752 20.01.23

IOne86

you understand the games are all going well, it just hurts my eye that at 60 frames the picture is not smooth and the images are torn,
although in the same ddr at high settings frames up to 60 fall only in the city well, and in principle, like in other powerful games, the card pulls I don’t seem to complain about the percentage either, of course you look, here’s another vidos, maybe you’ll see something

G
Guzno752 20.01.23

IOne86
frame graph looks good to me

G
Guzno752 20.01.23

IOne86
smooth

G
Guzno752 20.01.23

IOne86 shit
, everything is fine in vertical cyberpunk)
hahahaha
I can’t even believe it

G
Guzno752 20.01.23

and why should I turn on the vertical in all games right now?)

L
Loken 20.01.23

hyper1
In addition to the proof above, read what one of the game developers writes about this topic
https://www.quora.com/What-happens-if-your-refresh-rate-is-higher-than-FPS
if your refresh rate is higher than FPS?

If the update is a multiple of the frame rate, nothing happens for sure. Example: If your FPS is 60 and your refresh is 120, each frame is presented to you twice. This is exactly the same result as showing each frame twice as long.

(Unless you have some weird TV motion smoothing feature enabled...but that's another discussion)

Imagine that you have a video file encoded at 30 frames per second. Recoding to 60 doesn't change anything. Recoding to 120 doesn't change anything. You will just end up with multiple copies of the same frame.

If the update is not a multiple of the frame rate, you will get weird stuttering as the frames will be rendered for different durations. This is the same reason why FPS 45 feels so terrible on a monitor refreshing at 60. It's usually best to just lock it at 30.

Similarly, you usually only want to run refresh at 120 fps if you really can produce stable 120fps. If you are roaming around 100 frames per second, the result will be uneven.

Bottom line: if you can't support the refresh rate, run "locked fps" on some refresh rate divisor (e.g. half). If you can't support 120, use blocked 60. If you can't support 60, start blocked 30.

If you don't mind uneven frame times, you can ignore the whole thing. But most people prefer the same frame time experience
Have you read? Now add 2 + 2 and you will understand why 60 fps looks normal on your 240hz monitor.
Here, every troll or podpivas needs to prove that the rain is wet and the fire is hot, or will you already start turning your head on before you start arguing with something?

G
Guzno752 20.01.23

IOne86
and if the frames are locked to 75 via nvidia or via RivaTuner, this probably will not affect anything

I
IOne86 20.01.23

Guzno752 wrote:
and why should I turn on vertical in all games right now?)
Yes, or try scanline sync, as I wrote earlier, to get rid of the input lag.
If G-Sync works via DisplayPort, vertical sync will not be needed, you can simply limit the FPS so that it does not jump and the picture is perceived more smoothly.

And in RDR 2, it seems to me that the processor does not pull, the FPS is normal, but the game sometimes slows down for a split second, because of this there is no smoothness.
Do an experiment, set the graphics to minimum in RDR 2 to offload the processor, and test on a 60 Hz monitor with v-sync, will the game run smoothly?

I
IOne86 20.01.23

Guzno752
If the computer does not pull 75 fps, then it will not affect, so I advised you to set 60Hz on the monitor so that the fps exceeds the monitor frequency, then the vertical synchronization will work fine.
If G-Sync works, then you can set it to 75Hz - the monitor will still work at a frequency equal to fps.

G
Guzno752 20.01.23

IOne86
ok thanks for the help

T
TopPCGamer 20.01.23

Guzno752 wrote:
I'll buy a display port wire and try to connect through it, maybe something will change but I doubt it.
If the monitor has a place to connect the display port, then in theory you should have it bundled with the monitor

L
Loken 20.01.23

IOne86
And he only has HDMI and VGA ports in his monica, so with G-Sync compatible in flight.
When I asked him,
Loken wrote:
either by reducing the hertz and turning on the vertical. Have you tried doing this? What are the results ?
followed by the answer
Guzno752 wrote:
it got even worse
At the same time, the frametime is even, there are no friezes and sublags. But the picture on the screen is not smooth. But when there is a lot of fps - even. And with all this, the vertical line with the condition fps = hertz does not help. I xs, but this is a
spoiler :D

I
IOne86 20.01.23

Loken wrote:
And he only has HDMI and VGA ports in his monitor, so with G-Sync compatible in flight.
Yes, I did not pay attention, I hope he will read this before he goes to buy a cable :)
Loken wrote:
At the same time, the frametime is even, there are no friezes and sublags according to TSa. But the picture on the screen is not smooth. But when there is a lot of fps - even. And with all this, the vertical line with the condition fps = hertz does not help. I xs, but
I can only assume that his 6-thread Ryzen 5 3500x is missing, because of this the game sometimes slows down for a split second, while the fps does not drop. Above, I posted a link to the RDR 2 test on the i5 8400, the game also does not run smoothly, although the frametime is more or less even.

S
SonyK_2 20.01.23

Guzno752
Guzno752 wrote:
... how much should be the load of the video card and processor?
It shouldn't, it all depends on the game itself and the directness of the hands of the developers. In a good way, if the vertical is disabled, and in the game itself (or somewhere else) there is no forced frame rate limit, the load on the video card will be up to the maximum (99-100%), and the lower the processor, the better. But in games with large open spaces, many different objects in the frame, etc. CPU load increases. Especially if it is not the most productive, but several protections have been crammed into the game that will load it in addition to the game code. Will not have time to process data - a high probability of underloading the video card.

G
Guzno752 20.01.23

IOne86
in short, the problem was solved
, it was in the HDMI wire, I changed it and everything was fine, with the same 60 frames the game is smooth and everything is good!
and HDMI was just a bent plug itself, I replaced it

S
SonyK_2 20.01.23

Guzno752
Guzno752 wrote:
... the problem was solved it was in the HDMI wire ... it was just a bent plug itself, I replaced it
Spoiler