3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
S
Sanya Groks 22.02.21 03:23 am

Cry of Fear Mod (Half-Life)

I've been waiting for them for a long time. What do you think will not come out?
126 Comments
Sort by:
x
xDDGx 22.02.21

The description is meager and uninformative, the problem is not clear. No phone itself or light from it? If the first is perhaps the way it should be, at the beginning there is a short episode with a camera, there the map itself is the same as in Half-Quake. // as far as I can remember
If the second is the problem, most likely with the video card, you may need to update the firewood. If it does not help, perhaps the mod is crookedly installed, put it on another version of the CL (you need 1.1.2.1 - you can download the pirate KS 1.6 fresher, and put KOF on it), or search for some thread of repack on torrents (but I don't like repacks , if you already have a repack, then the crooked hands of its creator are to blame, download the normal KOF with moddb and put it on the CL / KS).

Well, if you have a licensed CL, and there is KOF on it, then I can only recommend looking for a pirate - it may not have such problems (but not a fact).

In general, it is better to upload a screenshot with a problem, on the right there is a download button, in the PIX menu - only you need to upload not a full-size screen, but a reduced one, or just a link to it.

x
xDDGx 22.02.21

http://www.cry-of-fear.com/
Well, now COF can be downloaded directly from Steam. And, what is most interesting, it will not require the purchased HL, but will be distributed as a separate game. o_O
// however, considering how confused the Velves are now with games on gldsrts, this is not surprising
Of course, it will be free. I wonder if the game will be available for Linux?
In any case, I will wait for the release of Kofe in Steam (fortunately, not long left) - it is terribly curious to look into the insides of the game. Will there be any differences from the usual CL? Will it be possible to put on it mods from the usual CL? The answers to these questions promise to be very interesting ...

PS Damn, if Paranoia came out now, would she also have a chance to get into Steam? Now they seem to have completely forgotten about her ...
// it is worth noting that KOF is to some extent based on Paranoia, from it in KOF (in older versions, at least) there are even some files left, and in the credits there is at least the nickname BUzer, who was the programmer Paranoia

001fess 22.02.21

Why do all versions slow down and go to 3 fps with any settings on win 7 x64?

x
xDDGx 22.02.21

Hardly an OS problem. Others don't complain. Rather, the problem is in the hardware / drivers, especially since you, judging by the profile, have a laptop.

The Steam release was postponed for five days:
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/93041394/810922863435311025/

T
Tupas 22.02.21

http://store.steampowered.com/app/223710/

x
xDDGx 22.02.21

So, five minutes of facts. Before killing my KOF: D, I found out the following:
- firstly, I have such a bug in my incentive - after exiting the game, he does not want to start KOF again and even exit - they say, the game is still running, but even in processes it is not. Only manual kill of Steam in the dispatcher helps. An alternative option is to launch it manually through the launcher, or even through cof.exe - you just need to hard set the -game cryoffear parameter (from the command line, or write a batch file), just starting cof.exe plays the introductory videos and that's it;
- secondly, you cannot start the game without Steam (well, this is not surprising);
- thirdly, the Launch with Console item when starting the game comes up with an error "exe-shnik not found" - perhaps it is tied to hl.exe instead of cof.exe;
- fourthly, running with the -dev parameter, I saw that the game was missing some sound))
- fifthly, I tried to copy the Action Half-Life mod into CoF and run it using the cof.exe -game action line ... That's what came out of it. I hope I don’t need to explain that the menu should look wrong? It looks like a Kofov 2D menu, only the logo has changed. (Also, in Kofe scrolling is inconvenient, the slider does not drag down with the mouse, only the wheel.) Maps did not want to start, neither through Create Server, nor through map. Rather, they start, but freeze. Although, the problem may be that my Steam started in offline mode ...
- then I pulled out the valve folder from GCFok. At startup, std backing CL is shown, but the game immediately crashes without really loading;
- then I pulled out hl.exe. Suddenly, a simple click on hl.exe normally launches KOF, without any o_O parameters. Otherwise, everything is the same, neither the CL nor the mods start;
- then, I decided to get the dll-ki CL out of the GCF (and this broke the KOF). Now, when starting the AHL, the correct back is displayed, but the game immediately crashes with an error. It's the same with HL.

Apparently, it is impossible to put HL mods on KOF, alas, only KOF ones. Now this is truly a "separate game" incompatible with the HL.

I also want to add that KOF weighs a little more than 4 GB, and version 1.6 is indicated in the launcher. I have it like a mod on pirate 1.5, when I try to "Check for Updates" it says that updates are not available.
I tried to copy the coffee folder from Steam to the pirate - it crashes when it starts.

edit
Ololo, it works. I forgot to pull out GameUI.dll (along with particleman.dll) from the gsfki. Now CL starts)) Just by clicking on hl.exe or cof.exe -game valve. ActionHL also works, but it hangs after the start of the map, however, if you do not create a server, but just use the map, then everything starts, when you try to set deathmatch 1 and do restart Steam writes something about validation - it does not start up in general. In any case, it is not worth playing with such an account on the network, they can be banned, so I do not advise you to repeat what I did here, unless you have an extra empty account.
But KOF is broken)) Although, you can take the old 1.5 and put it on. In general, I don’t know if all this makes any sense, but the very fact that you can fool Steam, play CL on a rogue account, burns a pirate soul: D (And this despite the fact that on a broken incentive I launch it could not!) Perhaps, however, there was no need to fence such a garden, and it was enough just to unpack the GCPs somewhere and run hl.exe when Steam was running.
In general, I will try to pump the KOF, and try to make the CL work without replacing the DLL - perhaps it was necessary to copy GameUI.dll from KOF, and then the half would not crash, but whether this would allow the cards to run is another question!

Here's another interesting fact - adding the -steam parameter leads to non-launching of games (perhaps, there is no such thing on a normal CoF).

C
Cvoxalury 22.02.21

In any case, it is not worth playing with such an account on the network, they can be banned, so I do not advise you to repeat what I did here, unless you have an extra empty account.
But KOF is broken)) Although, you can take the old 1.5 and put it on. In general, I don’t know if all this makes any sense, but the very fact that you can fool Steam and play CL on a rogue account.

In short, did you launch CL as a mod for the former CL mod?
And what does he write at the same time - the user is playing CoF or the user is playing the Half-Life mod?
So, you need to make sure that HL2 runs as a mod for DI. And preferably also Ep1, Ep2, P1 ...

x
xDDGx 22.02.21

In short, what are you, launched the CL as a mod for the former CL mod?
Unfortunately, not really. In fact, I replaced Khalfa with KOF, since I unpacked the binaries of the engine running in GCPs for CL into KOF, and the latter stopped working ... And this is crap and not necessary.

I haven't seen the inscription "user is playing" anywhere (and I did not start it from Steam, but manually), but when I tried to close Steam or start CoF from it, it was written "close Half-Life before exiting." And this is not a blunder of the Valves, when KOF was still working for me, HL demanded that KOF be closed.

So, you need to make sure that HL2 runs as a mod for DI. And preferably also Ep1, Ep2, P1 ...
S! Well, in principle, there is nothing complicated here, you just need to unpack almost all the content of HL2 / Ep1 / Ep2 / P1 in DI, add the path to DI to GameInfo.txt. - and should work. But it's not a fact that it will work fine (although, if you use old dll-ki, then at least Ep2 and P1 will be, but with HL2 and Ep1 it will not work, unless they replace the dll-ki with dll-ki from Ep2, but it can buggy (probably depending on which version of the game to rip the cards out of.)

We need to run the quake as an HL mod!))
// Although, wait-how, it has already been done! True, it's not HL, but Xash, after all ...

s
sergvolokovykh 22.02.21

I look forward to advice

!

x
xDDGx 22.02.21

I'm waiting for details.

N
N-ero 22.02.21

I watched the trailer in Steam, could not resist, installed (wiping away a tear, looking at the rapidly decreasing disk space).
The first thing that bothered me was the absence of my stupid 1366x768 resolution. In Launcher there are more permissions, but in the game itself they are ignored, and there you can put at most 1280x720, as a result of which I have CoF, framed on three sides by the edges of my desktop, and on the fourth - by the taskbar. The second thing that strained me was that the starting point slows down a little in some moments. The third thing that strained me was that my mod could hang anytime, anywhere. The first time it froze when I looked at the text message on my phone at the very beginning, the second time - when I opened the door and the download started. It both began and ended, delighting me with another "Not responding". Perhaps (most likely), it's my laptop. I'll try to figure it out later.
I liked the atmosphere in that small piece that I managed to grab. The music in the beginning is just brilliant. The screamer at the very beginning made me put down a pile of bricks (followed by a nervous laugh). I will not consider the technological aspects, I do not particularly understand them, but in principle it is clear that the engine is used to its fullest. There is nothing to say about the plot yet.
So it goes. Overall, the start is impressive.

x
xDDGx 22.02.21

The first thing that bothered me was the absence of my stupid 1366x768 resolution.
As if it is in the CL. Here in Ksasha there is, but KOF on Ksasha will not work, probably.

The second thing that strained me was that the starting point slows down a little in some moments.
Do not be surprised, even I have only about 30 fps on the map-back, and in the game itself there are drops in FPS. Also, tune the grafon, chop off everything that you think is superfluous there.

my mod can freeze anytime and anywhere
Sucks, I advise you to download the old version from the moddb and put on the pirate KS (I'm not sure what it will be normal for the Steam CL), you can save there at any time using the save command (bind F6 "save quick"), it's better to run it with the parameter -num_edicts 2047 (launcher won't work, so hl.exe -game cryoffear). You can also try changing the render to DirectX, but keep in mind that the game is still designed for OpenGL, so other problems may emerge in DH.

The music in the beginning is just brilliant.
Um, I can't remember, but in general, yes, the music is good, because it was (partially) written by the composer Half-Quake (and in HQ a good soundtrack, even I.A. appreciated), and in places it, perhaps, resembles music from CX (before the level of Akira Yamaoka, of course, does not hold out, but still the soundtrack is good and successful).

The screamer at the very beginning made me put down a pile of bricks (followed by a nervous laugh).
In my opinion, a stupid moment (in SH, which this game is so similar to, this could not be), but yes, it makes you twitch.

but in principle, it is clear that the engine is used to its fullest
What will you say when you see the end: D But the engine is not used to 100% of its capabilities - the textures of the brush geometry could be more honorable, and detailed texts could also be used, but then, rather all, the brakes would be even worse%) And so, if not for the last cards, one could say that Paranoia is prettier (on the other hand, Paranoia is still not so dark, darkness hides everything in CoFe).

N
N-ero 22.02.21

As if it is in the CL.
In CL, maybe not (when it came out, there was also no such permission, lol), but I played the original CL on a laptop, and everything was fine, on full screen.

Also, tune the grafon, chop off everything that you think is superfluous there.
Yes, I was going to do it. Anyway, there is no time to play actively, I installed it purely for familiarization.

In my opinion, stupid moment
Of course, stupid. Screamers are generally stupid and a cheap trick.

the textures of the brush geometry could have been more honorable ... in KoFe the darkness hides everything.
So, because of the darkness, I think you shouldn't have done everything very clearly. All the same, nothing is visible.
I said that CoF, in principle, looks more complicated than HL, and this is a plus.

x
xDDGx 22.02.21

but I played the original HL on a laptop and everything was fine, full screen.
But the resolution was hardly 1366x768, most likely it was lower. In Kofe, nothing prevents you from changing the -windowed mode to -fullscreen, if it doesn't work through the launcher, use the commandline, it's possible, see my post on 04/26/13 11:02.

I said that KOF, in principle, looks more complicated than HL.
And what mod on spirit doesn't look like that? : D Although there are, of course, much more differences in CoF than in any of them, almost every detail has been redone.

N
N-ero 22.02.21

nothing prevents me from changing the -windowed mode to -fullscreen
The fact of the matter is that through fullscreen the COF looks like this to me. Pieces of the slave are visible on the screen. desktop and taskbar. And this is with the fullscreen supplied.

Now I tried to play again, it hangs again in the same place: after receiving the task to find the code from the lock when opening a nearby door, loading starts, a thin one appears, and that's it, Cry of Fear does not answer. So it goes. Maybe he doesn't like parallel processes, xs.

x
xDDGx 22.02.21

looks like this
This is a very strange behavior o_O Indeed, this was not in the CL ... Perhaps this feature appeared with updates, nevertheless think about finding an old CoF-mod and put it on the CL ... However, I first I'll experiment on my own, and then I'll tell you what's what ...

edit
In what resolution did you launch it? HD 720?

cof.exe -game cryoffear -fullscreen -width 1280 -height 720

All the rules, I have a full screen. And this is the Steam version. So the problem is more likely in your laptop, not in the game, most likely, there are some limitations in the video driver. I can only advise you to try DirectX mode, maybe it won't be so naughty. Better to play this way, because playing in a non-native resolution is not that, the picture gets blurry and degrades due to the fact that the LCD monitor still shows in its native resolution, and the picture is simply extrapolated to it. So personally, I would play in such a non-fullscreen mode (especially since I often keep games in the window for convenience).
However, I have a glitch when minimizing the game - after expanding the picture goes down somewhere, and the print screen shows a shriveled picture of the game, here:
http://pix.playground.ru/278556/48284/827086/
Perhaps this problem is due to multi-monitor.

a
arsik_z 22.02.21

Hi everyone. There was a problem running this mod. Namely: I start the game, it takes 7-8 seconds and the game crashes with the error "The half life launcher has stopped working" (I tried to run it in windowed mode - it didn't help)

x
xDDGx 22.02.21

As I understand it, a pirate? You don't need to run it through the launcher, there is hl.exe or cof.exe - you need to write a bat-nickname containing something like this:
hl.exe -game CryOfFear -num_edicts 2047 -steam -gl -32bpp -fullscreen -width 1280 -height 1024 + cl_showfps 1
Here the parameters are set to your liking, "-num_edicts 2047" may not be needed for newer versions, the "-steam" parameter is needed depending on the pirate, instead of -fullscreen you can write -windowed to run in a window, substitute your own instead of numbers screen resolution, and the last command shows fps. Only I immediately warn you that I used this on the old version of the game, when it was still a mod, now it is already running as a separate game, so it may not work.

A
Akulich Vadim 22.02.21

I do not play cruofer through steam, in the folder I saw text docks in which some new patches are described, which, as I understand it, are not new for a long time, in short, how to play a pirate, for example in Hotel Terror and other single companies without incentives? folder then suvat with the addition and how to start?

x
xDDGx 22.02.21

Just try to update the game through the launcher, I updated it to version 1.55 on the pirate, all campaigns are available from the Custom Campaign menu (including Hotel Terror), I did not download or install them separately.

It's funny, CoF does not work in my Steam. But the pirate runs perfectly, even with the Steam turned on.
// edit
Yeah, I checked the cache - it became normal, it started (without Steam, unfortunately, it does not want to), which means that I did something here.