3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
s
snowball 20.07.21 01:42 am

What's missing in modern games?

Although I'm not that many years old, I played a lot of old games, and I feel that the games were better before ... I don't know what to do ... Damn: stupid: Express your opinion.
124 Comments
Sort by:
R
Raipper 20.07.21

[quote name = "The REAL"] And now in the same 99% of games that I play the plot is not worse than Hollywood blockbusters .... [/ quote]

[offtopic] Here everything became clear to me: mrgreen: [/ offtopic]

What can to be worse than the plot of Hollywood blockbusters? :)

T
The REAL 20.07.21

If only for the sake of decency you brought a quest 15 years ago, in which there was a plot as such ...
I can also advise you to sort out cartridges for an 8-cue ball or megadrive 15 years ago, and make sure that 99% of the games of this time are "passionate"
So don't la-la.

s
skyner 20.07.21

[quote name = "The REAL"] You at least for the sake of decency brought a quest 15 years ago, in which there was a plot as such ...
I can also advise you to sort out cartridges for an 8-cue ball or megadrive 15 years ago, and make sure that 99% games of this time are "stralyalki".
So do not blah blah. [/ Quote]
Regarding consoles with cartridges, an unfortunate argument. In addition to consoles in the 80s and 90s, there were also full-fledged computers (not PCs), which operated as information carriers by no means cartridges. Spectrum, Atari, Commodore, Amiga ... these names tell you something? ...

* Olessia * 20.07.21

[quote name = "The REAL"] You at least for decency brought a quest 15 years ago, in which there was a plot as such ... [/ quote]

for decency it would not hurt you to get acquainted with the games 15 years ago: [url = http: //www.oldgames.ru] www.oldgames.ru [/ url]
This is [b] only the most famous [/ b] RPG 1990-1991:

Eye of the Beholder
Eye of the Beholder 2
Ultima 6
Dark Heart of Uukrul
Quest for Glory 2
Wizardry 6
Worlds of Ultima
Worlds of Ultima 2
Magic Candle 2
Death Knights of Krynn
Might & Magic 3
Neverwinter Nights
Planet's Edge
Pools of Darkness
Gateway to the Savage Frontier

even before 1985-1989:

Bard's Tale
Quest for Glory
Dungeon Master
Wizardry
series Might & Magic
Prophecy
series Dungeon Master
Wasteland
Akalabeth
Magic Candle
Wizard's Castle
Pool of Radiance
Ultima
series King's Quest series

I won't paint quests .... text adventure games too.

[Quote] I can also advise you to sort out the cartridges for an 8-bit or megadrive 15 years ago, and make sure that 99% of the games of this time are "stray".
So don't la-la. [/ quote]
um ... I'm actually talking about PC games, but in general I played Japanese RPGs on Dandy.

s
skyner 20.07.21

Only I wanted to complement the thought about PC games, as they beat me to it :)

T
The REAL 20.07.21

I actually asked for an example of a quest :) Well, I can't comment on anything from the list, I didn't have such games on the 8-cue ball at that time: (And of course, in the early 90s, PCs in the CIS-USSR were rare.

Okay, I give up. - text adventures are cooler in terms of plot than Fahrenheit :)

[size = 75] Added on Nov 24, 2005, 8:43 am: [/ size]

PS Spectrum - a full-fledged computer ??? I almost fell off my chair :) If a BASIC was loaded from a cassette there, this does not mean that this is a complete PC.

[size = 75] Added on Nov 24, 2005 8:51 am: [/ size]

PS2.
Demand creates supply. If people wanted quests, turn-based strategies, etc. do you think the manufacturers would not do them? But look who are the top sellers now ... FEAR, RE4, NFS: MW. And Siberia-2, I remember, was not particularly in demand ...

s
skyner 20.07.21

[quote]
PS Spectrum - a full-fledged computer ??? I almost fell off my chair :) If a BASIC was loaded from a cassette there, this does not mean that it is a complete PC. [/ Quote]
Yeah, where is it to Sega in terms of usefulness: rotfl:
Interesting and what do you think is its inferiority?
By the way, BASIC was loaded there not from a cassette, but was wired into ROM (memory chip, if I'm not mistaken, EPROM type) ... You probably confused it with someone ...: gigi: With Microsha or with Vector .. . (although Vector was by no means the last machine in terms of capabilities)
And the BASIC on the Spectrum was far from limited, if this is news to you ...

[quote] I actually asked for an example of a quest. Well, I can't comment on anything from the specified list, I didn't have such games on the 8-cue ball then. And of course, in the early 90s, PCs in the CIS-USSR were rare. [/ quote]
It is clear that in the early 90s the PC was a rarity, but why then argue and say "I can't comment on anything" if you have not seen these games, but communicated exclusively with consoles? Incorrect, dear comrade ...
Regarding the example of the quest, they gave you a good link, so educate yourself ... there, by the way, is not a complete list ...

* Olessia * 20.07.21

[quote name = "The REAL"] I actually asked for an example of a quest :) Well, I can't comment on anything from the above list, I didn't have such games on the 8-cue ball then :( And of course, in the early 90s, PCs in the open The CIS-USSR was a rarity. [/ Quote] It
seems to me that you and I are arguing about different things. Maybe there were more shooters on the consoles, but as far as I understand, the topic of the branch is more about the PC game .... although ... they would clarify ..... And I brought RPGs as games where the plot is paramount.
Well, quests, so quests :) for example, the most rated on PC 1990-1991 and earlier (also, apparently, you cannot comment):
Space Quest 1-4
Monkey Island 1.2
King's Quest 1-5
Maniac Mansion
Indiana Jones
Manhunter 1-2
Loom
etc.
[quote name = "The REAL"] Okay, I give up - text adventures are cooler in terms of plot than Fahrenheit :) [/ quote]
Don't be silly, Fahrenheit is a great game, just an example of how to make a plot.

[quote name = "The REAL"]
Demand creates supply. If people wanted quests, turn-based strategies, etc. do you think the manufacturers would not do them? [/ quote]
They are made, but in smaller quantities, about how much easier it is to make a game on a knurled basis, in this regard, shooters, apparently, are easier to churn out.
Initially, I remember, it was about the plot in games ... So, a good plot has not interfered with more than one game, FPS is no exception.
But look who are the top sellers now ... FEAR, RE4, NFS: MW. [/ quote]
There is such a phrase: pipol hawala. Here's your whole theory of sales. Here is the same FEAR, I poyuzat the demo version and, after spitting, erased it from the computer, IMHO, nothing new. You go to the branch of the game, there are many of them. And what does this have to do with the sales rating of this game?
I remember Siberia-2 was not particularly in demand [/ quote]
But Siberia was in demand, and the second part simply repeats the first, only the graphics are more accurate.

T
The REAL 20.07.21

a) basic was loaded from ROM, that's a fact. About the cassette this is me, figuratively :)
b) Any space quests and decoys of the islands and tried to run it on a PC when I got it. Not flooded :( The plot was not there for me, you walk around stupidly collecting items. Boring.
True, there was one quest, nothing, about some goblins :)
c) Fahrenheit - the game turned out to be far from super for me. But nothing, you can play.
d) About people hawala - you're wrong. The position is all fools - I'm smart. If the game is bad, millions don't play it.

Since you liked Siberia - by doing so, you confirm that the games are doing just as well right now.

[size = 75] Added on Nov 25, 2005 9:18 am: [/ size]

PS If we talk about trends in general, then keep in mind that the market for consoles (and games for them) is much larger than the market for PC games. Therefore, it is not necessary here to narrow everything down to old PC quests.
And why is FF or Xenosaga worse for your old RPGs that you cited as an example?

L
Leider 20.07.21

=== And what is worse for your FF or Xenosaga of those old RPGs that you cited as an example?

Oh, let's not interfere with ZhiRPGs, they have been cool for 20 years and remain, they are timeless. If the games lack something (modern), then just not JRPG ^ ___ ^

-
-Mag 20.07.21

[quote name = "Leider"] === And why is FF or Xenosaga worse for your old RPGs that you cited as an example?

Oh, let's not interfere with ZhiRPGs, they have been cool for 20 years now and remain, they are in time. If the games lack something (modern), then just not JRPG ^ ___ ^ [/ quote]

in fact, the current Xenosaga really lacks that old Xenogears ... this is my thing.

Finale - each part with a sensitive and individual approach. do not touch it

s
skyner 20.07.21

PS If we talk about trends in general, keep in mind that the market for consoles (and games for them) is much larger than the market for PC games. Therefore, it is not necessary to narrow everything here to old PC quests.
[/ quote]
So no one narrows it down, you started it yourself ... And the fact that you were not impressed by the quests is, firstly, an individual matter, I like it, I don’t like it. The plot there was anyway and very good. Secondly, you apparently evaluate these games from the standpoint of today, would you have played at that time, maybe you would have thought differently, because then these quests were going with a bang (the same Monkey Island) and they were praised in the press ...

T
The REAL 20.07.21

I did not launch those quests today or yesterday.

In short, everyone agrees that the games that were, remained the same.
And I didn’t hear the confirmation of the reasoning like “before the games were made more interesting, not like now”.

-
-Mag 20.07.21

>>> And I never heard the confirmation of the reasoning like "before the games were made more interesting, not like now".

there is one justification for this ... elementary - no matter how many ideas a Man is - original ideas dry up. More and more games are suffering from their absence. The most interesting thing is that the market is expanding - but this is due to other reasons, but only for now. Games are now trying to surprise with graphics, physics - i.e. something that brings the game closer to cinematic realism and realism in general. but the plot and the idea suffer.

[size = 75] Added on 25 Nov 2005, 21:12: [/ size]

P.S. more and more films are now suffering from the lack of a plot and ideological component ... they shoot one dregs - I have probably not seen a really good movie for a year now.

s
skyner 20.07.21

[quote name = "$ Mag"] >>> And I never heard the confirmation of reasoning like "here before the games were made more interesting, not like now".

there is one justification for this ... elementary - no matter how many ideas a Man is - original ideas dry up. More and more games are suffering from their absence. The most interesting thing is that the market is expanding - but this is due to other reasons, but only for now. Games are now trying to surprise with graphics, physics - i.e. something that brings the game closer to cinematic realism and realism in general. but the plot and the idea suffer.
[/ quote]
: agree:
[offtopic] And about fmlms there is a way out - to shoot more on good books, the main thing is not to spoil the plot with a bad script ... [/ offtopic]

* Olessia * 20.07.21

I tried to run all sorts of space quests and decoys on my PC when I got it. Not flooded :( The plot was not there for me, you go around stupidly collecting items. Boring.
True, there was one quest, nothing, about some goblins :)
Fahrenheit - the game turned out to be far from super for me. But nothing, you can play. [/ Quote] A
matter of taste, no comments
About people hawala - you're wrong. The position is all fools - I'm smart. [/ quote]
Well, I don't know, my IMHO, it's like in music: there is pop, but there is music. Let's take the example of Duma 3, objectively - the game is good: graphics, monsters, all kinds of weapons, dynamism, and most of all I liked this trick with a flashlight: lol :. IMHO there is one drawback - somewhere in the middle of the game it gets boring ... it’s all ... yes, I bought it, yes, I played it, yes, millions more people did this and the rating of the game is high due to this, but not always the number of sales speaks about the quality of the product.
If the game is bad, millions do not play it. [/ quote]
Now, if those games I mentioned above did not have a plot, they would not be remembered by millions, and they would not emulate now DOS-box to play again. Now this is not my IMHO, it is a fact.

Since you liked Siberia, by this you confirm that the games are no worse right now. [/ Quote]
One game is not an indicator, you too, you say, liked the quest about some goblins, so what you say that 15 years ago there were games with the plot was not?
If we talk about trends in general, then keep in mind that the market for consoles (and games for them) is much larger than the market for PC games. Therefore, it is not necessary here to narrow everything down to old PC quests.
[/ quote]
I don't care about prefixes. On PC 15 years ago there were games with a good storyline and NOT ONLY quests, that's all I tried to prove to you.
[quote name = "The REAL"] And I never heard the confirmation of reasoning like "here before the games were made more interesting, not like now". [/ quote]
You, too, would not hurt to substantiate your statement, I quote: "In 99% of games 15 years ago, there was no plot at all !!"
My opinion "the games were better before" is based on personal experience of gigabytes of games played + subjective assessment. There is also the fact of nostalgia, what is there to prove, this is pure IMHO, although I'm not alone in my opinion.

-
-Mag 20.07.21

In principle, the plot of a normal movie is the plot of a normal game, and vice versa!
I have read so many wonderful books with an interesting storyline, fantasy ones, some of them even from paternal authors - but for some reason they never make games or films on them! sorry ...

>>>> I don't care about prefixes. On PC 15 years ago there were games with a good storyline and NOT ONLY quests, that's all I tried to prove to you.
they are now, and not only quests. for example the latest find - Indigo (Fahrenheit) - I played with pleasure. I called the genre interactive cinema.

* Olessia * 20.07.21

: D apparently everyone has already forgotten how the dispute began

T
The REAL 20.07.21

1) Well, what kind of plot can, for example, be implemented on a 286 processor :) Like the text "the princess was kidnapped by savage demons" and show a picture in 16 colors of this very princess. That's it, the game went on :)
This is how the
bottom-hole plot of 15 years ago looked like ... Contra, BattleTots, WormJim - great games, but it's not about the plot.

2) Doom-3 - the game is worse than the movie, definitely :) Fahrenheit - only the original controls, and so boring ... And who played SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS - still that toy :)
No, there are enough original games and ideas, just people snickering ...

I have a question for those who think that 15 years ago the games were better: how old are you? Or maybe the age is not the same to play games :)

-
-Mag 20.07.21

>>> apparently, everyone has already forgotten how the dispute began,
I did not start, I joined in - I could not calmly watch how the games were being rolled ...

>>> Well, what plot can, for example, be implemented on a 286 processor Type text "the princess was kidnapped by knowledgeable demons "and show a picture in 16 colors of this very princess. Everything, the game has gone further

when you read the book (if this happened and is happening - which I hope, otherwise it is pointless to discuss the plot) - do you see the graphics, or the processor ???
Text RPGs and quests are still interesting and fascinating to people. some kind of Phantasy Star 2 on Segu is as old as life, but the plot and the idea? beautiful.
You can continue indefinitely.

>>> Doom-3 - the game is worse than the film, definitely
&&& is the game worse? how is this possible when if there were no game there would be no movie ...

>>> Fahrenheit - only original controls, but boring things ...

I don't play boring things - I have a huge selection of games - but I wanted it. management at the core is steeped. a unique subgenre was created by this game - there were no similar ones.

>>> And who played SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS - still that toy,

yes, that one.

>>> No, there are enough original games and ideas, people just got drunk ...

many plot moves are either stereotypical, or have already met - so it's not about the "zahiraniya" of the people.
The gaming market has been developing for a long time and ideas poured and dried up - in this light, I think remakes are a good moment - that game with new graphics is a valuable thing!

>>> I have a question for those who think that 15 years ago the games were better: how old are you? And maybe the age is not the same to play games for

about 10 years (maybe more), you want to say that this changes something 10 or 15 ??? nothing...