3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
s
snowball 20.07.21 01:42 am

What's missing in modern games?

Although I'm not that many years old, I played a lot of old games, and I feel that the games were better before ... I don't know what to do ... Damn: stupid: Express your opinion.
124 Comments
Sort by:
-
-Mag 20.07.21

I will answer myself according to my own criteria

-
new details appear in gameplay , new approaches are gradually being sought. the main elements have already been identified and the hope for high-tech as a way to transform the gameplay towards its interactivity.
- graphics
improvement. there are great hopes for canoralism. I would like to see in my lifetime.
- idea (originality)
ideas dry up. people are required.
- the plot
is really tight with this. there are situations when people declare that FF10 is plotless, when all the other games around, even next to it (FF10), did not stand.
- the atmosphere a
lot depends primarily on the author, and not on what the project is being implemented on. although the graph of the sound occupy not the last place!
- sound - in general, as a composer will be - this will be the result.

L
Leider 20.07.21

Okay, I agree on the criteria)
Gameplay:
there is a position out of time. That 15 years ago that there are now games with excellent GPU, it's a sin to complain about it.
Graphics: a
definite plus in the direction of modern games, I hope no one will rise to write the opposite)
Story / Idea:
Forgive me for combining, but here again equality. I disagree with the fact that now there are no smart and interesting games, which can easily be attributed to SH1-4, MGS, FF, KH, oh, and much more you can)
Atmosphere:
on the consoles of the 8-bit era and on the notorious amiga to create an atmosphere it was very difficult, now everything is facilitated by the availability of technical equipment ...

My summary - there is nothing that modern games lack) Everything has its time.

a
aladdin 20.07.21

[quote name = "snowball"] the games were better before ... [/ quote]

both before and now are full of normal games ...
"you can love from the back if your pants are down ..."

-
-Mag 20.07.21

>>> Story / Idea:
Forgive me for bringing it together, but here again equality. I disagree with the fact that now there are no smart and interesting games, which can easily be attributed to SH1-4, MGS, FF, KH, oh, and a lot of other things are possible)

, for all other questions, it seems that nothing sounds wrong as it should be in my opinion, however, for that he and My opinion, but the idea / plot here is somehow a little tight ...

SH1-4, MGS, FF - these are sreii. they adhere to a certain concept. No, I don’t mind - great games. but ... when they repeat Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Vagrant Story, MGS 1, etc. I will change my mind.

there are certainly interesting things - KH, Shadow Hearts, SMT DDS ... maybe crisis only in recent years. maybe it's a black bar, but FM4, Grandia 3, Suikoden 4, Xenosaga 2, FF10 are really weaker than their predecessors. and this is not the final list

[offtopic] >>> 2 Leider
If you want to quarrel, start a separate topic.

you are already superfluous, The REAL ... really.

S
Sonic Son'edith 20.07.21

[color = green] Leider [/ color]
[quote] position out of time here. That 15 years ago that there are now games with excellent GPU, it's a sin to complain about it. [/ quote]
GP is generally a relative concept. Tell me what is the gameplay? is he a Narpmer in Heroes? quests? Yes there is. He's just different there. Just as the gameplay for example Stealth-Action differs from myasilov in the style of Ser Sam, so the gameplay of the new games is clearly different from the gameplay of the old ones. Let everyone decide for himself in which direction :)

about the graphics - I agree, except that my Ku4 does not go because of a good graph, and this is bad: gigi:

[quote] on the consoles of the 8-bit era and on the notorious amiga, it was very difficult, now everything is facilitated by the availability of technical equipment ... [/ quote]
but on the 16-bit shoga everything was ok 8)
and on the dendik Mario I remember it seemed atmospheric =)
now there are not so many games that can create the proper atmosphere ... despite the "Technical equipment".

S
SuperFedya 20.07.21

What’s missing is that stupid players buy crap based on movies and the like instead of masterpieces.
After all, this shit about 50 cents will probably bypass RE4 sales ... not funny :(

* Olessia * 20.07.21

Then I will summarize my opinion on the parameters proposed by [b] $ Mag [/ b]:
gameplay - IMHO, modern games have no problems with this, many games are interesting to play, even if they are enough for only a few days and then you forget about them;
graphics - technical progress is evident: the further, the better;
idea (originality) - the lack of an obvious lack of early games, judging by the number of sequels for today;
plot - directly depends on the genre of the game, today more FPS means fewer games with a good storyline, I speak only for PC games;
atmosphere - IMHO a collective and subjective concept, originality of the idea / plot, gameplay, graphics, music and something else that draws you into the game. This "something else" is lacking in many modern games - everything seems to be nothing, but does not stick around. It depends on personal feelings, well, there are games about which we can say that "the authors put their soul into", for me, for example, from the last games, this was SW: KOTOR.
sound is an important part of the game, poorly chosen music can ruin the whole game. Today, developers are serious about the musical component of games + technical capabilities. For modern games, most people write good music. Timeless concept: I enjoy tracks from both Deus Ex: IW (2003), Might & Magic 6 (1998), Diablo (1996).

p
pantilxaker -IFF- 20.07.21

adminam.net

K
Koaan89 20.07.21

IMHO-Modern games lack a quality plot.
Most are retelling of old stories in their own way.
Outwardly, I'm not talking about all games, since modern games also
shine with a good storyline, but most ...

G
Guest 20.07.21

The most important thing in the game is a new idea, if the idea is interesting then it will be interesting to play such a game.

R
Raipper 20.07.21

[quote name = "swert1"] The most important thing in the game is a new idea, if the idea is interesting then it will be interesting to play such a game. [/ quote]

Very often great ideas die due to poor implementation.

* Olessia * 20.07.21

[quote name = "Raipper"] [quote name = "swert1"] The most important thing in the game is a new idea, if the idea is interesting then it will be interesting to play such a game. [/ quote]

Very often great ideas die due to poor implementation . [/ quote]

The implementation of a new / interesting idea always requires a lot of work and talent. The absence thereof makes even the most sophisticated, well-made game empty and uninteresting. The trouble is that now a new idea in the game is a dark forest for marketers, at a time when publishers are already dictating to developers (!) What their games should be, there are fewer and fewer fresh ideas. :(

R
Raipper 20.07.21

[quote name = "* Olessia *"] Realizing a new / interesting idea always requires a lot of work and talent. The absence of this makes even the most sophisticated, well-made game empty and uninteresting. The trouble is that now a new idea in the game is a dark forest for marketers, at a time when publishers are already dictating to developers (!) What their games should be, there are fewer and fewer fresh ideas. : ([/ quote]

That's yes ... Why take a chance on a new one, when you can cut money on a well-worn old ...

s
skyner 20.07.21

I agree with both Olessia and Raipper. Although I would like to add that there is also the principle of feedback: what the people buy most is supported and published first of all ... Of the examples that have appeared in the news a long time ago, we can name JoWood. They support Gothic and SpellForce in every possible way, and Massive Development and Aquanox 3 along with them have fallen asleep. I do not want to say anything bad about Gothic, the game is really quite worthy and even more ... But Aquanox, which was not appreciated by the general public, deserved a better fate ... Just like Troika Games died due to the phenomenally poor sales of VtM: Bloodlines. Why the game did not please Western gamers is very difficult to understand ...
In principle, publishers are also different. JoWood is understandable - they are not rich enough to publish good, but not popular enough games. Are the publishers richer?
Again, an example based on fresh news: EA has renewed its rights to SystemShock 3, but the big question is whether it will ever release it, because the "indefinitely mothballed" includes the same good and innovative Dugeon Keeper, Magic Carpet, Populous (legacy of BullFrog) and so on and so forth ... What the great and mighty EA mostly prefers to publish now, I think, there is no need to explain ...
And how significant it turned out that at the same time Take-Two bought the vegetating Irrational Games, the authors of the excellent SystemShock 2 (and not only) and making games for their money ... I hope the new publisher will not indicate what and how to do it, how indeed, unfortunately, all the time happens ... So far, in any case, everything seems to be exactly like this: cherished in the absence of the publisher BioShock will be safely finished and published ...

x
x0m and 20.07.21

Games games, you soon realize that you are killing time in vain, but for the sake of such masterpieces as SH, MGS, GTA, Gran Turismo, FF, Resident Evil, you can spend time, it was these games that pulled consoles to a new level and are benchmarks (well, I mentioned here masterpieces PS2). GamePlay is a thing for amateurs. Someone needs to meat everyone, someone to drive in cars, someone to play fighting games (I will immediately mention SC and Tekken), etc. The graphics are now undoubtedly better, but I would be glad if, for example, Castlevania was made on PS2 as on ZY1 (Symphony of the night). In general, lately I don't play so often, I don't have enough time, and when I have it, you think about how best to allocate it, the last game I recently played was RE4, I didn't see anything else worthy of my attention.

* Olessia * 20.07.21

[quote name = "skyner"]
Just like Troika Games has fallen asleep due to the phenomenally poor sales of VtM: Bloodlines. Why the game did not please Western gamers is very difficult to understand ... [/ quote]
And in my opinion, Western gamers and the press in general (domestic, by the way, too) did not forgive the general dampness of the product. Although I bought the game with pleasure and went inside and out, firstly because of my love for the 1st part, and secondly, I really liked the game atmosphere of the game, despite the large number of lags.

s
skyner 20.07.21

[quote name = "* Olessia *"] [quote name = "skyner"]
Just like Troika Games died due to the phenomenally poor sales of VtM: Bloodlines. Why the game did not please Western gamers is very difficult to understand ... [/ quote]
And in my opinion, Western gamers and the press in general (domestic, by the way, too) did not forgive the general dampness of the product. Although I bought the game with pleasure and went inside and out, firstly because of my love for the 1st part, and secondly, I really liked the game atmosphere of the game, despite the large number of lags. [/ Quote]
Come on ... For the first time or what? In such and even more severe cases, all those who are suffering are waiting for patches and usually they receive these very patches. In this case, the patch was also there, although not everything was correct (our fans then polished the game almost to a shine), but if it were not for Activision (again, returning to the publishers and what they are), everything would be fine and the game would have been brought to the mind. It came out raw precisely by the grace of an unscrupulous publisher. And she had enough dignity so as not to bury either the studio or the game ... You yourself write about this - "passed with pleasure" ...

* Olessia * 20.07.21

[offtopic] yes it is, my assumption, the presence of bugs and the "incompleteness" of the game personally does not bother me if the game itself is standing again according to my subjective feelings [/ offtopic]

R
RGB Nameless 20.07.21

99% of modern PC games lack EVERYTHING except graphics.
And thank God that on consoles this is not at all the case.

* Olessia * 20.07.21

PC VS Console theme is not here